Thursday, August 25, 2011

My Beef with “Equality”




I have a real issue with people who state ‘I’m for equality for the sexes!’ whether they be male or female. Seriously, I look at stating equality in this manner the same as someone posturing about how much money they have or how good they are at something or other. My opinion of the sitch is that those who really want to be deemed equal to men or even other races won’t drone on and on about how they want equality, but they will shut their mouths and get the job done.

Yeah, maybe I’m being unrealistic, but I want you to follow me for a second.

Three of the clients that I have to visit in my fulltime job are facilities run by women, VERY capable women I may add. One such client has three different facilities under their umbrella of responsibility, which has a woman overseeing everything from Health and Safety to research and two other women who answer to her. I want to take just a little time to tell you why I respect these women and why I shake my head and all this “WE NEED EQUALITY” crap.

The first client I want to refer to you I met for the very first time late last year. I conducted our appointment trying my damnedest to keep a straight face. Why you ask? Good grief, she was very disappointed in the fact that while we conducted business, her facility wasn’t up to her standards. She wasn’t b!tching about it, nor was she pulling the ‘oh poor me’ card. She just was more than a little embarrassed that I was at her place of business and not everything was done to her level of expectation.

Ahem.

Due to the nature of what I do (think Homer Simpson) and the fact that I signed documents stating that I can’t blog about my full time profession, I can’t tell you the particulars concerning this woman’s effectiveness. However, to give you an idea of what I walked into, (and what shortcomings she was apologizing for) let me give you a visual aid.



Her facility ran like a Swiss clock, that much was PAINFULLY obvious, and her efficiency screamed so loud that she never had to say anything about how she was ‘equal’ to what a man could do. That’s just it, whom do we respect more? The person who brags about how good he is, or the dude who simply gets it done? Here’s one for the equality set, another client of mine had their department run by a man. This dude was decent, nice guy, but not the most effective when I came to management. Late last year I was introduced to his successor as he had moved on. She immediately took the reigns and was deadly serious in her application. On previous visits, I would usually have issues which needed to be worked out with the previous facility manager, a lot of which where ongoing.

This new female manager however…I encounter an issue once…it gets dealt with. Quick, fast, and in a hurry…no joke.

The same goes for my client who has three different facilities run by three women. Precision is how I describe their performance, any issues, which crop up (as they have quite a few people which answer to them so of course, mo’ people, mo’ problems) are dealt with quickly and efficiently with little to no blow-back to be dealt with later. Here is the biggest thing I admire about every single one of these women. All 5 of them are married, and 4 of them have kids. None of these women are confrontational nor do they seem like they are feminists with something to prove. It’s clear as day that they all got their positions the same way effective men get theirs, because they could, and still can, get the job done.

My opinion as it appears to me; if you want to prove that you can hang with men or the majority, then shut up and put your money where your mouth is. Effective men don’t waste their time telling you about how good they are or how good they could be if things where just ‘more equal’; they let their actions do the talking and usually that’s all that’s needed. You don’t have to be a loudmouth career b!tch thinking that doing so will make you equal to men, nor do you gain any ground b!tching about your ‘lack of options’ as a woman or a minority. Hey, I agree that not being male or of the indigenous race can be an immediate setback in situations. I can vouch for the fact that you will have to work twice as hard to get half as far. However, complaining that you don’t get a far shake and that the PTB need to give you a break while you sit on your duff isn’t the way to gain respect or show than you can hang.

You want it, go out and get it.

Omnipitron

2 comments:

  1. My brother-in-law was a ship's Chief Engineer. He couldn't wait until there existed a women weighing 118 pounds that handled the 30+ pound wrenches as well as he did. Retired before that happened, no shocker to him or us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn skippy. This is the whole issue I have with this 'equality' tripe, it simply isn't true. The reason why I respect the women above is because it was clear to me that they didn't make it their mission to be 'equal' to men, they just saw their jobs and did them. There was no 'look, see, I'm just as good as you' as if they had something to prove.

    This is also the reason why I had included their marital status, they are very feminine women (the younger ones actually being downright hawt) and have no axe to grind against men. More importantly, they are content to do what it is they can do and not bite off more than they can chew. No, you won't even see them state that they can perform tasks that women are obviously ill suited for which bolsters my impression of them even more.

    Seriously, if a dude says he can accomplish an action and falls on his face due to incompetence, what happens to his standing against his other peers?

    Poseurs drone about equality, effective people get the job done and DON'T place themselves in positions which make them look utterly foolish!!!

    ReplyDelete