Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Minivans vs. Sports Cars



Gotta love it. Just had a ‘cute’ convo with Mrs. Omni and she was talking about this VERY smart friend of my Step Daughter’s. She told me straight up that she was surprised that this kid was still single. He was very close to hitting the honour roll, however (wait for it) this is how this kid learns. He goes to class for the first two days when the teacher is starting a new unit and then hits the Internet to learn the rest. He comes back the day of the test and scores a healthy mark even though he hasn’t been to class in weeks. Nice way to bypass the stacked educational system which doesn't serve boys no?

I looked at my wife and smiled.

"Hey Hun?’ I ask with a smirk across my face. "Remember your bf from high-school? What car did he drive? Wasn’t it a Honda Prelude?"

I loved it as my wife gives me a knowing smile, she already knows what I’m up too.

“Didn’t you love it? I mean, it was a two door, fast, sleek and all of that? I mean, you must have loved in back then right? How about now, what sort of car do you like driving now? Would you like a Honda Prelude or something else like that today?”

My wife walked out with a large smile on her face that indicated we both knew what was going on and no, she WOULDN'T like a Honda Prelude today. I had answered her question and now she understood. See think of it like this; what sort of vehicles did we lust after in high-school as guys? Small, powerful, sporty, FAST cars, right? We lusted after Ferrari’s, Lambo’s, Porsche’s, and other supercars we could have trouble pronouncing. We would settle for Mustangs, Camaro’s and Firebirds if we where lucky enough but that was indeed a chosen few in those days. Trunk space, Fuel economy.....PUHLEASE!!!

Have you any idea how many Mustang LX’s I saw being driven by high-school kids growing up. It was obscene!!!



What about now, or what’s the deal supposed to be at any rate? Here is the issue, the very thing that makes those sporty muscle cars great when we are young and in high-school, makes them horrific when we are older with responsibilities. Heck, when I was a kid, my father had a Mustang, then got rid of it for a Mercury Capri, then got a 76 Pontiac Grand LeMans. I was 6 years old when he finally got rid of that car (so we are talking 1981) and I stood with him as a tow truck pulled it out of the driveway and into the night. After that, he bought…smaller cars…4 doors, no more high horse power, more family oriented.



When I got my license at 17 (1992), he drove a Ford Topaz…I’m grateful for his responsibility but I can’t help but feel….cheated…ahem.

Back to the point, Mustangs don’t make great family cars, they simply don’t. The chances of you looking cool in your mother’s Dodge Grand Caravan when you are in high-school is looking more on the slim side to be honest. Have your Dad’s Bimmer, Mustang, or Camaro, and NOW we are talking. Here’s the deal, you think I’m talking about cars….not a chance…I’m actually talking about MEN. Commitment, loyalty, faithfulness, you think that means a THING to young adolescent women? Not a chance, with the lack of responsibilities they have at that stage, that barely registers on their radar. It’s exactly like trying to look cool in a minivan while vying for a young woman’s attention; you’ve got your work cut out for you. However, confident and exciting, now you’re talking turkey, right?  

One may have to work a little harder to look like a douche in a 5.0 Mustang, get it?

As the priorities are SUPPOSED to change in life, the choices we make should reflect that. Exciting dude (pure alpha) is hard to beat in high-school, and Committed dude (Beta) is supposed to be the go to guy later in life. What do you want to drive as a teenager? Sporty, FAST, and sexy. How about now with a bagful of kids and lots of errands to run on a tight budget? Economical, reliable, and spacious, no?



This is why this young man who has already been accepted to be an electrical engineer in college (I’m not sh!tting you whatsoever) is single even though he is basically socially acceptable amongst his peers on top of his intellect and aspirations.  He’s ambitious, smart, courteous and mature. However he’s a Minivan, amongst women who wish for Mustangs and his social status represents this. The thing is that he WILL be taken up before the vast majority of young women realize what is truly important in life and so many will sadly miss the value he presented once the opportunity is gone for good.

Omnipitron

No comments:

Post a Comment